Thursday, May 28, 2009

MCAS Tutoring - final week

Two days ago was my last session of MCAS tutoring, and I am glad that I kept to it and persevered, even though there were only 4 kids in my last session. Throughout the different sessions, Mrs. Gallo seemed very pleased and grateful to have me there, especially because she was able to do some work or organization or step out into the hallway for a minute to take care of business while I kept teaching. The kids seemed to be learning and it was evident that they needed the review because every time I started a topic, they would be stumped for an answer or be asking lots of questions. I think I put a lot of energy into my "teaching" and really made an effort to bring the material down to a student-friendly level, keep them interested by using different and sometimes funny examples or explanations, and encouraging them to participate in a positive way. I feel I have "developed" these skills in a way that I only could have through actually being in the classroom like that and teaching, not my same-age-peers in a class presentation, but younger students who need help and are receiving it from a student teacher.
This activity was valuable for me because I got to experience handling a small classroom and teaching information, and discovered that I like doing that because I enjoy things I am good at, and I enjoy helping others to succeed in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment