Friday, May 22, 2009

MCAS Tutoring - week three

5-22-09
Yesterday I continued the MCAS tutoring, even though I am sick, and did not feel like teaching or talking, especially to a whole group of freshmen. However, I think it payed off for them and for Mrs. Gallo because they seemed to understand the graphing of population only after I explained to them how to place the intervals, and Mrs. Gallo looked like she was able to get some work done while I took charge of the class and stood up in front working the Smartboard.
I solved part of the challenge of speaking so much (my throat hurt) by asking for volunteers of the students to read some of the information on the Smartboard. I have also been encouraging the kids to help one another out when one doesn't understand something but the other does, and I think this is good for their learning because young kids often listen to and understand their peers more than someone they consider a "teacher". Also, I have been learning another aspect of "teaching": more than just giving examples of things and explaining them, I have begun to ask the kids for more than is written or expected - I ask them to explain it to me and to give me examples, etc. to make sure that they are understanding the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment